Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄

good article: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/things-to-know-global-entry/

Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information. 

As a frequent international traveler, I’ve come to depend on Global Entry, a system that allows me to clear U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) in a matter of minutes. While the process of becoming a member may seem cumbersome, it’s relatively painless, and the service continues to exceed my expectations . Although the program launched more than a decade ago, it’s always evolving and changing. On July 11, we learned that the grace period post-expiration was being extended to two years as they deal with a backlog. Read on for more details.

And here are some essential things you should know if you plan to apply for Global Entry, including how you can get the fee reimbursed, what to expect during the interview, how to use it, renew it and more.

In this photo taken May 28, 2010, a Global Entry Trusted Traveler Network kiosk awaits arriving international passengers who are registered for the service, which will expedite their clearance of customs, at the newly-renovated customs clearance area at the Tom Bradley International Terminal at Los Angeles International Airport Friday, May 28, 2010. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon)
(Photo by Reed Saxon/AP.)

Related: You can get Global Entry upon arrival at these 64 airports

IN THIS POST

Use credit cards to get a Global Entry Fee Credit

(Photo by Josh Gribben for The Points Guy)

All Global Entry applications must be submitted online through the CBP website, along with a $100 nonrefundable application fee. After you’ve received conditional approval, you’ll need to schedule and complete an interview.

But you may be able to get the Global Entry fee reimbursed (or cover the cost for friends and family members). Many credit cards — even some with annual fees under $100 — will reimburse you for the Global Entry application fee. Typically, this credit is available once every four years.

Here are our top picks for low-fee cards to use that offer a Global Entry credit:

And here are some of the best premium cards that offer this benefit:

Most of the credit cards that offer an application-fee waiver allow you to buy Global Entry for someone else. So, if you have an unused credit on your Amex Platinum, you can charge another person’s Global Entry fee to your card and the purchase will be reimbursed. With some cards, the credit may not post for up to eight weeks.

Related: Top credit cards for Global Entry and TSA PreCheck

Expect the following during your interview

A line of people (left) wait for their Global Entry interview appointments at San Francisco International Airport. (Photo By Liz Hafalia/The San Francisco Chronicle via Getty Images)

Once you’ve completed your Global Entry application, the interview comes next. Depending on where you are, it may take a while to schedule an interview. CBP told Afar magazine the agency was “experiencing [a] historic increase of new applications and renewals,” going back to a partial government shutdown in January 2019, then the global pandemic in March 2020. At one point, enrollments were suspended through summer 2020, but they resumed in September of last year.

When your interview day does arrive, be sure to arrive on time and bring:

• A print-out of your letter of conditional approval
  • Valid passport(s) or permanent resident card
  • Evidence of residency (for example, a driver’s license with your current address, a mortgage statement or a recent utility bill)

If things are backed up and your scheduled interview time seems like forever away, you can always try getting a walk-in interview. Many TPG readers and team members have had success showing up for an interview without an appointment. Or, consider seeking out an interview upon arrival at a participating airport (more on that later).

Once at the facility, you may have to wait a bit if the CBP officers are busy. I waited about 15 to 20 minutes for my interview on a Friday morning at the Chicago enrollment center, but one former TPG editor didn’t have to wait at all for her interview at a center in Los Angeles.

During the 10- to 15-minute interview, expect to be questioned about your application and why you want to join the Global Entry program. The officer I spoke with was both friendly and professional and asked to see my conditional approval letter, passport and driver’s license. I was then asked to confirm some of the countries I had visited recently (as listed on my application) and whether I’d traveled to each for business or leisure. The final step was giving my fingerprints and getting my photo taken (so make sure to brush your hair on the day of your interview).

A few minutes later, the officer told me I was officially enrolled, and that I would receive my Global Entry card within seven to 10 days (which I did). I was then given my Known Traveler Number (KTN) so I could enter it in my frequent flyer profiles and be eligible for TSA PreCheck.

Don’t forget to activate your card within 30 days of receiving it, although you don’t necessarily need it to pass through Global Entry kiosks at the airport, which I’ll explain below. Some CBP officers will provide actual kiosk training, but mine did not.

Related: How long does it really take to get a Global Entry interview appointment?

How to use the Global Entry kiosk

(Photo courtesy of U.S.Customs and Border Protection)
(Photo courtesy of U.S.Customs and Border Protection)

Once you’ve been approved, using Global Entry is easy. You simply head toward the line (or lack thereof) that says Global Entry when you arrive at immigration.

Approach the kiosk, use your fingerprints to identify yourself — sometimes this takes a few tries — answer the questions (you’ll recognize them from the blue CBP entry form) and take your photo. Then proceed to baggage claim with your printout. You actually don’t need your Global Entry card to go through Global Entry kiosks in the U.S., but you will need it when traveling through NEXUS or SENTRI points at the Canadian and Mexican borders when coming back into the U.S. for expedited entry (more on that later).

Parents should note that very young children who are Global Entry members may simply be too squirmy to scan reliable fingerprints. If they receive a crossed-out printout, show that to the CBP officer.

Facial recognition is the next phase

A CBP officer uses facial recognition technology to screen a traveler entering the U.S. at Miami International Airport (MIA). (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Many TPG staff members, readers and even The Points Guy himself, Brian Kelly, have been experiencing some changes to the Global Entry arrival process. Some reported not having to scan their fingerprints when entering the country, while others weren’t required to scan their passport or answer any CBP questions. Some travelers experienced a combination of the three.

This is because Global Entry has moved toward facial recognition technology, according to a CBP representative, following a pilot program launched first in 2018 at Orlando International (MCO). The new process, which won’t require trusted travelers to answer questions or scan their fingerprints or passport, has been rolled out at 24 U.S. airports now, including Atlanta (ATL), Miami (MIA) New York (JFK), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), San Francisco (SFO) and Chicago (ORD).

CBP also uses “Simplified Arrival” in Detroit (DTW). You just need to take your photo at the kiosk and hand the printed receipt to a Global Entry officer.

But don’t get too excited just yet. Many (if not most) passengers are still being asked to scan their fingerprints and passports, so until the system is fully ready, you may have to keep following these extra steps, depending on your airport or arrival terminal. The forthcoming change is welcome news for everyone, but especially for parents of small children with Global Entry. Since babies and young kids don’t always have fully developed fingerprints, this would help eliminate the need for extra time with a Global Entry officer, speeding things up for families (and everyone else in line as a result).

TSA PreCheck is included

Entering your KTN in your frequent flyer profiles gets you access to TSA PreCheck. I’ve personally never been denied PreCheck since receiving Global Entry, but some TPG readers report they have occasionally been refused the privilege. In any case, you should have TSA PreCheck almost all of the time if you have Global Entry, although the TSA does warn that it uses unpredictable security measures and no one is guaranteed expedited screening.

Related: 12 key things to know about TSA PreCheck

You don’t have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify

Global Entry service is available to more than just U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Citizens of Argentina, Germany, Switzerland, Panama, South Korea, India, Colombia, Switzerland, Singapore and Taiwan are eligible. Mexican nationals can apply.

Canadian citizens and residents are also eligible for Global Entry benefits through the NEXUS program. For more information about how citizens from other countries can apply for and get approved for Global Entry, check out the requirements and information on the CBP website.

UK citizens can apply for Global Entry. (Photo courtesy of U.S.Customs and Border Protection)

The application process for U.K. citizens, for example, is slightly different: British citizens need to first register through their government website and pay a £42 (about $50) fee. If approved by the U.K. government, U.K. citizens can then apply through the U.S. Trusted Traveler Programs website and pay a $100 fee to the U.S. government.

When Nicky Kelvin, director of content at TPG U.K., applied for Global Entry, he said the U.K. government approval came through “incredibly fast; confirmed just 30 hours after application.”

He noted that his Global Entry application took a bit longer, closer to six weeks, and recommends that applicants log in to their account regularly, as he wasn’t automatically notified of approval. His interview appointment at New York-JFK was easy and quick.

If you’re a U.S. citizen thinking about getting Global Entry and you visit Canada often, you may want to consider getting NEXUS so you can also enjoy expedited customs there. Clearing Canadian customs and immigration can take a while, so this would save you a lot of time. NEXUS is 50% less expensive than Global Entry, too ($50 per adult and free for children under 18), and once you have it (as a U.S. citizen or permanent resident), you also get Global Entry and TSA PreCheck. The downside is you must go to an enrollment center along the Canadian border.

Related reading: Getting Global Entry as a family for less

You can enroll upon arrival

If you’re having trouble booking an appointment or don’t live close to an enrollment center, you can enroll upon arrival at various airports within 25 U.S. states, plus Canada, Ireland, the Bahamas, Abu Dhabi (in the UAE), Aruba and Bermuda. Keep in mind, many of these extra arrival spots were shut down during COVID-19.

If open, this service allows you to complete your Global Entry enrollment interview as part of the immigration process when arriving at the airport after an international trip. In order to do this, plan to follow signs in the airport for the “Enrollment on Arrival” lanes — and be sure your flight arrives during hours when interviews are being offered.

A CBP agent will complete your Global Entry interview during your admissibility inspection. If you don’t see any signs for this, ask a CBP agent.

For more information, you can read a detailed account about how one TPG writer was able to get his Global Entry approved in JFK’s Terminal 1 after an international trip.

Related reading: You can get Global Entry on arrival at these airports

Expect significant renewal delays

Global Entry membership lasts five years before it must be renewed, and it always expires on your birthday that fifth year. However, Global Entry renewals are temporarily closed to new applications and renewals due to coronavirus. In mid-2018, many members began experiencing excessive delays associated with renewals, with cards taking more than two months to arrive, or no email reminders or updates being sent.

In fiscal year 2019, CBP enrolled more than 1.1 million new members into one of the four Trusted Traveler programs: Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST, according to its annual travel and trade report. More than 9.2 million members enjoyed the benefits of expedited processing as a Trusted Traveler in FY2019, with more than 6.7 million being Global Entry members.

Global Entry members have access to automated kiosks at 76 U.S. airports and 15 Preclearance locations.

TPG’s director of travel content Summer Hull  waited about a year for renewal. In the meantime, her PreCheck expired even though there was supposed to be a year-long grace period (more on that below). Delays can sometimes be avoided by doing one key thing: Applying for renewal well before your Global Entry expires.

Related reading: Tips on how to renew your Global Entry membership

Global Entry now gives you a two-year grace period

Now for the good news. Thanks to the massive delays in renewal processing, the CBP has extended the length of time you can use your benefits after your membership expires, from 18 months to two years. However, you must submit your renewal application before it expires to get this grace period.

(Screenshot courtesy of CBP)

Families need to enroll kids separately

Parents can’t bring their babies or children through the Global Entry kiosks with them unless the children also are enrolled in the program. This means you’ll have to pay the $100 enrollment fee for each child you’d like to enroll. You’ll also have to schedule and attend an interview with your minor. This makes the enrollment upon arrival service extra handy.

TSA PreCheck benefits, however, do extend to children 12 years of age and younger in your family, so you can use the expedited lane together when traveling domestically. The Mobile Passport app allows you to create additional profiles for family members, and up to four people can submit a single customs declaration form. If your family doesn’t leave the country often, that may suit your needs better than Global Entry.

Extra fees aren’t required for children who use NEXUS (and, by extension, Global Entry) with their parents, or for children linked to the parent’s SENTRI profile.

Related: Is it worth getting Global Entry as a family?

You can update your Global Entry when you get a new passport

If you get a new passport (perhaps it was lost, stolen or simply expired), you can update your Global Entry profile to match your new passport.

Simply log in to your account, navigate to your dashboard on the right and find the section marked “Update Documents.” You’ll enter your new passport number there. If you have a name or status change, however, you will have to go to a Global Entry Enrollment Center to process that change.

If you’re one of the lucky people who has two U.S. passports, remember, you’ll have to change the number in your profile to reflect which passport you’re using for international travel at that time.

Global Entry cards are considered valid federal IDs

(Photo by Benét J. Wilson/The Points Guy)

While you don’t need to carry your Global Entry card with you to use the Global Entry kiosks when arriving at U.S. airports, it is a valid form of identification. This means if you happen to lose your driver’s license or state ID, the card serves as a legal alternative ID you can carry around with you until you replace the one you’ve lost.

If you’re arriving in the U.S. through a cruise ship port such as Port Everglades, check Global Entry requirements ahead of time, as we’ve heard varying reports from TPG readers about needing your card to access Global Entry kiosks there, although I wasn’t asked for my card after disembarking from my cruise.

The card can also come in handy for travelers that live in a state where the driver’s license is not Real ID-compliant. You could use your Global Entry card as an alternative form of valid ID at the airport instead.

Related: The Real ID deadline is being pushed back (again) until 2023

You can’t upgrade TSA PreCheck to Global Entry

If you already have TSA PreCheck and want to upgrade to Global Entry, you’ll have to go through the normal enrollment process. That means visiting an enrollment center and paying the full $100 fee (which, hopefully, you’ll get reimbursed for anyway by using the right credit card).

If you’re deciding which service to get, you may as well pay the $15 extra (TSA PreCheck costs $85) and get Global Entry, which includes PreCheck. You never know when an international travel opportunity may arise.

Additional reporting by Caroline Tanner, Clint Henderson, and Benét J. Wilson.

For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of the Amex Business Platinum Card, please click here.

Featured photo by Liz Hafalia/The San Francisco Chronicle via Getty Images.

List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수
공지 회원가입: skyblue360@gmail.com 및 회원등급 관리자 2009.04.27 39585
557 Date: 대추야자를 하루에 3개씩 먹었다면, 관리자 2018.03.18 340461
556 5 spiritual dangers skipping church 관리자 2019.01.12 171119
» 글로벌 엔트리 global entry 관리자 2021.08.04 150337
554 Samoan Song: Ala maia i lou malosi 관리자 2015.05.31 75608
553 세계를지배하는 유대인의 파워 WHITE 2013.07.14 31886
552 강남구청[pcr]한국->미국 (퍼온글) 관리자 2021.07.25 24681
551 흥미로운 사진들 (퍼온글) 관리자 2013.04.18 21827
550 UA 기내 반입 휴대가방 사이즈 엄격제한 관리자 2014.03.06 19727
549 2014년10월 방문계획 (수정): 07/13/2014 관리자 2012.10.11 18387